Information Alert to All NY-Licensed Providers and PSYCKES Users
The New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) released the following guidelines regarding verbal consents to ensure service provision during this health emergency.
During the time of the COVID-19 public health emergency in New York, if you are working with a patient remotely rather than in person, it is acceptable to obtain patient consent for PSYCKES verbally so long as:
- The consent is informed (i.e., you explain to the patient what PSYCKES is and what information is available, their right to not give consent, and their right to withdraw consent at any time).
- Staff obtaining verbal consent complete the PSYCKES consent form:
- Check the “I give consent” check box
- Enter the patient’s name in the “Name of Patient” line
- Enter “Verbal consent with (staff name)” in the “Signature of Patient” line
- Enter the date verbal consent was obtained in the “Date” line
- Save the form in the patient’s file
- A copy of the completed PSYCKES consent form with the date of verbal consent is provided to the patient via mail, email, or after the emergency is over, in person.