Links to state-hosted listening sessions on marijuana legalization
September 5, 2018
Later this week several representatives from the NYS Council will be meeting in New York City with state agency leaders as well as officials from DoH and the Governor’s Office to discuss the issue of marijuana legalization from the provider point of view as well as our thoughts regarding possible use of marijuana to treat Opioid Use Disorder (OUD).
With regard to the legalization of marijuana in New York, it appears as if draft legislation will be fast tracked once the upcoming legislative session begins. As such, we would not be surprised to hear more about the draft regulations put together by the Governor’s Workgroup in his State of the State address or shortly thereafter. Please try to attend one or more of the listening sessions on this topic (listed below) being held around the state over the next few weeks.
The NYS Council would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback on these complex issues. We would especially appreciate it if you would share your thoughts regarding the specific issues you would want to see addressed in draft regulations relating to legalization of marijuana in New York.
Our feedback will go directly to the Governor’s Workgroup. This makes our meeting later this week a unique opportunity to weigh in regarding how the legalization of marijuana would impact your agency, and your current AND future ability to provide critical prevention, treatment and recovery services to those who need your assistance.
Please share your thoughts at your earliest convenience.
Date: Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 10:40 AM
Subject: State to hold listening sessions on marijuana legalization
By Nick Niedzwiadek, Politico
08/30/2018 10:39 AM EDT
The Cuomo administration will hold more than a dozen listening sessions over the next month and a half on creating a legal recreational marijuana system.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo convened a work group earlier this month stocked with trusted aides and department heads to come up with draft legislation on marijuana legalization. The move comes after the Department of Health put out a study that concluded a regulated marijuana program’s benefits, in regards to both health and the criminal justice system, outweighed its potential drawbacks.
The series of 15 events will begin Sept. 5 in Albany and conclude Oct. 11 in Watertown. The Assembly earlier this week announced it will hold four hearings on the same topic.
The list of listening sessions is as follows:
Listening sessions will begin in early September and be completed by mid-October. All sessions will be from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM. Doors will open at 5:30 PM. The sessions will consist of facilitated discussion, will be open to the public, and to accommodate all those planning to attend, pre-registration will be encouraged.
Details on venue location for each session will be available soon.
- Albany – Wednesday, September 5, 2018 - Albany Capital Center – 55 Eagle Street, Albany, NY 12207 - Register
- Glens Falls – Thursday, September 6, 2018 - SUNY Adirondack- 640, Bay Road, Queensbury, NY, 12804 - Register
- Bronx – Monday, September 17, 2018 – Venue TBD - Register
- Manhattan – Thursday, September 20, 2018 - Venue TBD - Register
- Queens – Monday, September 24, 2018 - Venue TBD - Register
- Brooklyn – Tuesday, September 25, 2018 – Venue TBD - Register
- Staten Island – Wednesday, September 26 – Venue TBD - Register
- Long Island – Thursday, September 27, 2018 – Venue TBD - Register
- Newburgh – Monday, October 1, 2018 - Venue TBD - Register
- Binghamton – Tuesday, October 2, 2018 - Venue TBD - Register
- Buffalo – Wednesday, October 3, 2018 - Venue TBD - Register
- Rochester – Thursday, October 4, 2018 - Venue TBD - Register
- Syracuse – Tuesday, October 9, 2018 - Venue TBD - Register
- Utica – Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - Venue TBD - Register
- Watertown – Thursday, October 11, 2018 - Venue TBD - Register