Value-Based Payment Reform
As part of the requirements for NYS receiving DSRIP investments from the federal government, a multi-year roadmap for comprehensive payment reform needed to be developed. This Roadmap was submitted to CMS and received approval on July 22, 2015.
The NYS Council is a member of the NYS Value-Based Payment (VBP) Workgroup that helped to develop the Roadmap and continues to work with the State on Annual Updates. With our members, we have submitted numerous comment letters along the way.
- April 8, 2016 – NYS Council Comments on VBP Roadmap Annual Update
- January 27, 2016: NYS Council Comments on VBP Recommendations
- November 4, 2015: NYS Council Comments on Early Draft Subcommittee Recommendations
- October 30, 2015: NYS Council Comments on VBP Sub Recommendations
- March 27, 2015: NYS Council Comments on VBP
In September 2015, the NYS Council offered two webinars presented by Health Management Associates on VBP and Community Behavioral Health. These webinar are available on the Archived Events page of our site.
May 10, 2017 – State Medicaid Director Jason Helgerson has developed a new (May 3) video Whiteboard presentation on VBP.
October 28, 2016 - The state’s Value Based Payment Behavioral Health Clinical Advisory Group (CAG) released recommendations for how to structure value-based payments for chronic behavioral health conditions. The comment period concludes on Nov. 28.
Please take a look at the document here: http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/redesign/dsrip/vbp_library/docs/2016-10-28_bhcc_rpt.pdf and share your thoughts.
About the CAG:
CAG Recommendation Reports attempt to establish the defining characteristics of each VBP arrangement and their associated quality measures.
October 20, 2016 – Earlier today a group of NYS stakeholders with a specific interest in children’s healthcare came together for the first of three meetings of a newly minted Value Based Payment sub-committee, the Children’s Health VBP Subcommitte/Clinical Advisory Group (CAG).
In preparation for the meeting, participants received a lot of information that helped to put attendees on the same page and set the stage for today’s discussion. For your convenience this email includes links to all of the information participants received leading up to and during today’s meeting including the Power Point presentation we reviewed together.
The NYS Council is pleased to have so many of our member agency representatives at the NYS Children’s Health VBP Subcommittee/Clinical Advisory Group (CAG) table to include:
- John Kastan, Chief Program Officer, The Jewish Board (NYS Council Board President) https://jewishboard.org
- Fern Zagor President & CEO, Staten Island Mental Health Society http://simhs.org
- William (Bill) Gettman Jr., CEO, Northern Rivers Family of Services http://www.northernrivers.org
- Audrey LaFrena, President/Chief Operating Officer, Northern Rivers Family of Services http://www.northernrivers.org
- Lauri Cole, Executive Director, NYS Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare (appointed member of NYS Value Based Payment Main Workgroup) www.nyscouncil.org
*Northern Rivers Family of Services (members Northeast Parent & Child Society, Parsons Child & Family Center)
- VBP Roadmap (2016 update)
- Value-Based Payment Models for Medicaid Child Health Services (Bailit Health)
- Poverty and Child Health in the United States
- Effects of Social Needs Screening and In-Person Service Navigation on Child Health
- You Get What You Pay For: Measuring Quality in Value-Based Payment for Children’s Health Care
- Understanding Medicaid Utilization for Children in New York State: Data Brief and Chartbook
- Shifting the Care and Payment Paradigm for Vulnerable Children
For more details on Value-Based Payment Reform, you can go to the NYS Web site.